On July 18th, 2011 I will set out to move to South Korea to meet up with my good friend and amigo Steve Muzik. Being Stephen and Steven, we are Steve Squared. Mainly this blog is to keep my family and friends privy to the adventures and shenanigans I will be getting into in Asia.

"Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. And yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you cannot conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, or five times more? Perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless..."

See everybody in a few years, peace, love, and rock and roll.


Monday, July 18, 2011

This is how we say goodbye.

Today is my last day in the states and I’m gonna miss all of them, but after the awesome series of goodbyes I received from all my family and friends over the last week I’m ready to roll rejuvenated, recharged, and with no regrets.

I arrived in Portland, Oregon for my final farewell and my buddy Fed had a party and a pie in the face waiting for me. So after wiping off the lemon meringue we had some delicious Portland brews, shot off some fireworks, and said goodbye to America in style. It was also a happy coincidence my friends Shane and Maria in Portland were also moving away to Germany to work at the Adidas headquarters, because they had a going away bash the next night and a lot of my old Cincinnati college friends made it in and we showed all the Portland people how Cincinnati takes care of business.

So after a pretty stellar weekend and seeing some pretty great people, tomorrow I get on a plane and head one day into the future where Korea and my buddy Steve are waiting for me. No matter where I go though America will be with me and it’s in my DNA, which reminds me of this little story:

“ General Stilwell noted about the GIs in WWII that they were obedient but idiosyncratic, willing but not too enthusiastic. That attitude could be observed most closely in their marching. It was not that the men walked out of step, or that they could not move about in bodies with ease and dispatch. It was that each man stepped out or swung his arms in his own way, giving European observers an impression of incipient discordance in any body of marching GIs. No amount of close order drill could completely erase that impression, for the GI never made that ultimate, intimate surrender of the individual to the mass... A Czech villager remarked to an American officer as they both watched American soldiers swing by, 'They walk like free men.'"

See ya later America, stay beautiful baby.


*Nate, Pat, and I wearing our clearly superior Nike gear at Shane's Adidas going away party.

No comments:

Post a Comment